Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mockingjay

Mockingjay
Hunger Games #3
By Suzanne Collins
Published by Scholastics Press

This is the third and final installment of the Hunger Games trilogy.  In this novel we follow Katniss’ journey as she evolves into the face of rebellion.  The habitants of the 12 districts plus the secret district 13 worked towards a common cause; taking down the Capitol’s reign once and for all.  The Mockinjay is the symbol of rebellion because Katniss wore a Mockinjay pin when she was the first person to intervene subconsciously with the Capitol.  Throughout this novel we encounter themes like death, love and violence.  Who will Katniss choose: Gale or Peeta? The fight to freedom is a costly battle.  The question is will it be worth it?  Will they succeed?  What will Snow do?  Will Katniss be able to maintain her status?  Will Katniss survive?  What about Peeta and Gale?  This novel keeps the reader asking those questions right up to the end.  Almost all these questions are answered; a select few are left to the readers’ imagination.  When I read this book it was almost as if I was holding my breath because I could not believe what just happened.  It is full of surprises. 

I really liked this book.  I had a hard time putting it down, similar to its two precedent novels in captivation and wonder.  My favorite part of this novel was when Peeta started being his old self again, I was worried that what he went through would cause him to forget who he really was, the Peeta he was before he went into that first Hunger Game.  I was a bit disappointed with the end because there were still plenty of questions that were left unanswered.   If I could change anything in this book I think I would reduce some of the details and get to plot faster, I found the beginning to be rather slow.  Overall I would not touch it.  The details are to build anticipation and that is exactly what she did.   

I would recommend this book to anyone.  Although it’s meant for 14 – 17 year olds I think that even young adults maybe up to 25 would enjoy this novel.  It can be read without reading the two first ones but many details would be missing and it would not have the same effect if the two first novels had been read beforehand.   Anyone who is looking for an action book that as a lot of suspense when we wonder what will happen next would probably find what they are looking for in this novel.  Fortunately this novel as a bit of everything, that is what makes it an all around good book for both sexes to enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment